Friday, March 24, 2006

IF YOU AINT GOT...

"some of the shit y'all pop to it, I ain't relatin'
if I don't like it I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hatin'"
-Common "6th Sense"


I'm going to be honest right now. I hate a lot of music on the radio. I hate a lot of music out anywhere. I LOVE music but everytime I turn around some guy has tough ass beat on and is talking about absolutely nothing. Either that or some fine ass non-singing sista is trying to destroy my eardrums. Lyrics? Good songwriting? Originality? What's that?

Don't fret my true music lovers (and if you don't know the song where I got my beautiful opening quote I'm not talking to you). There is some good stuff out there (few and far between as they are). What I'm going to do is let you know what the good stuff is and why I think its good. So if you ain't got it...you f*#ckin suck. (excuse my language)

If you aint got Anthony Hamilton's "Ain't Nobody Worryin'" you f@#*kin suck.

There is not a man in the game right now that has more soul than Anthony Hamiliton. To compare him to anybody you have to go back to the 70's. He's cut from the same cloth as Marvin Gaye and Lou Rawls. He has that distinctive voice that carries all kinds of emotions with it and flows into your soul. It's something real genuine to it. Real natural. In the 20's, he would've been one of those guys that traveled the country with a guitar and a suitcase, hopping from boxcar to boxcar performing gigs for a place to sleep and a bottle of jack. A true artist. That's too real for y'all.

"Can't Let Go" comes on and he starts "Why must they try, to tear down my house when they, know its made from love, and they can never stand in our way, we made a vow to love, through it all, we are one, and no one has the right to tear my loving down"

That's good music. It's all about love. Not "let me beat them skins" "get naked so i can get up in it." It crosses that line from momentary sensation and lust, into being together and passion. You can't make good music without that passion.

It's something down home country about the whole album. Takes you back in time to your grandma's house. Where your daddy had to wear his Sunday best and introduce himself to your family in order to take your moms out to the drive in. "Cool like a fresh breeze, ooohh Please come with me, Let's take a ride, Swing to the other side, I'm much obliged to make your aquaintance, You're full of substance, and oh girl I love it" on "Southern Stuff".

You feel the music when it plays like on the wonderfully smooth "The Truth". "If you take a little walk with me, Girl I'll lead you to the truth, and you should never give up on me, Girl I'll share it all to you" He'll lead you to the truth girl! How can you not feel that? There are several songs on this album I think can be played for years to come. I want to play a couple of them in September when I do my thing. It's classic material people.

From the relationship troubles of "Where Did It Go Wrong" to the big girl shout out of "Sista Big Bones" to the love-fest of "Change Your World" this cd is a wonderful listen.

Bottom line, if you don't have it then you f#@*kin suck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home