Friday, April 07, 2006

1000 Memories

Dreams are strange.

Last night it was one of those really vivid ones that got me in my mood for today. One of those dreams where you see everybody you never even remember and you end up damn near remembering your whole life. The good and the bad moment are mixed in there.

I was watching my friend Tank, on Decatur St, Richmond Va, when I was 6 and used to live round the corner from my Grandma. He would run into the street and lay down and cars would roll right over him. I remember he would be so happy when he jumped up and ran back to where we were waiting for him. Who was waiting for him? Me and my middle school friends at William R Davie. Me, Mike, Reggie, Tasha Owens, Tobias, and somebody else were all laughing about how I wrote a story about flying on a paper airplane all over the world. We got up and left but walking out the caf doors opened into Miss Virginia's house. I had walked there from Hardee's about a mile away in the hot sun because she would take me home in her little red truck. She never went over 35 in that thing. She smiled and worked in her yard. She drops me off at Devan Newman's house and I know she's going back to heaven. Devan has the high top fade and the foot long rat tail because he had just moved to NC from California. We play football with Goo Goo and Bossley and jump or our bikes to go to to American history with Mr Clark. My cousins, Stacy, Mookie, Sheeda, Redd, Zurich all walk by the classroom and tell me come on to the cook out. Brenda and Shirley are leaving and they don't wait for nobody. My little sister, when she was 3, takes my hand and I walk her and my brothers across the street to see everybody at the family reunion. I had to go back to ECU at 2 so I could make it to Black Lit(and so I can get a seat so see fine ass Ebony in her Zeta coat). I walk pass everybody from Scott Hall to get to class, even James and Keenan. Class is cancelled again. I go to Mendenhall and Shirley, Sha, June (and her baby), Tiffany, Temia, Alexis are there waiting for April and Kara. I realize everbody from White Hall is there. Corey and Dwight are going to the rec. I go over to check the Spot schedule, then I go see Jennifer before she goes to Georgia Tech. I sit with her and take her bags to her old Maxima. When she pulls off, I check my watch cause I only have 30 minutes til I go see the boys and I better have this info tight to spit. Them damn Iota don't play! Jesse Palmer walks by and tells me he thought I deserved that award for drawing and I remember thinking how this guy is the best designer I've ever seen. Dre calls me and I have my old Alltell phone. Josh and Dez are bringing chips and stuff and all the SGRhos are coming to our cookout. Then I'm at the cookout on the Park West balcony with Cynthia, Keisha, Hope, Alexis several other girls I don't quite remember but I'm sure I know them. The balcony becomes the ocean and I'm alone. The waves crash. My phone goes off. Jennifer texts me to buy some grapes on my way home. I'm missing something. I can't remember what it is. I look in the sand but its not there. Where is it? It has to be here? What is that? Is that...Joyce Latell?

It was the damn radio alarm. Now I'm up at work and I can't shake the feeling I'm missing something. I don't know what it is. I can't help thinking how much what I lost meant to me. I regret losing it, whatever it was. I hope I can find it one night, hidden amongst all the other people and things that live in my dreams.

1 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmmm yeah.... whatever you ate before you went to sleep that night? Don't eat it again...
Crazy dream, yo!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home