Wednesday, April 12, 2006

YEAH SON! ALL DAY ITS A MOVEMENT!!

F#%K THAT YO!! I'M A HIP HOP ALL F#%*&N FAN ALL DAY! I'M SO DAMN HYPE ABOUT HIP HOP I GOTTA TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND CUSS IN EVERY F*#$$N SENTENCE YO! NO F&#*%N BODY CAN TELL ME ABOUT HIP HOP! EVRYBODY THAT DON'T KNOW NOTHIN BOUT WHAT I SAY IS A BITCH STRAIGHT UP! DON'T LET MY F*#&K'D UP LANGUAGES FOOL YOU SON I'M THE TRUTH!! ATL DIP UNIT HUSTLAS ALL F*#%$N DAY! ITS A MOVEMENT FOR REAL BITCHS!!

Why can't people sit back and have simple, open discussion on hip hop? Why it got to be all that, homie?

Anyway
The big fuss on the internet is the MTV list of the top MCs. It goes like this supposedly(the dude claims that hackers got to the the list on the MTV site, the actual list is being revealed slowly this week):
1. Jay-Z
2. Tupac
3. Notorious B.I.G.
4. Rakim
5. Nas
6. KRS-One
7. Big Daddy Kane
8. Ice Cube
9. Eminem
10. LL Cool J

Immediately the furor started. Check out the comments they are making on SOHH.com. People are really upset.

One thing they say is that MTV has no right to make a "greatest (insert anything hiphop)" list. They say that MTV doesn't know anything about hiphop and never supported us before so how can they talk about it now. How dare those MTV people comment on hiphop. We need somebody with some credibility to make the list.

It's not that serious is it? People make list all the time. Top 20 love songs. Top 100 celebrities. Top this. Most that. No list means anything more than what it is.. a list. It's not like they're going to put this list as an amendment in the constitution. Its not the Ultimate Never to Be Questioned Final Definite List as Decreed By God Himself(or Herself if you like). People are allowed to put out their opinions. Why not MTV? They play music don't they? Who would they rather have..BET? The same people that gave us those great bastions of hip hop culture Uncut and Lil' Kim Countdown to Lockdown. Or would it be the shining achievment of 106 & Park that gives BET hiphop credibility. They have Rap City, but Joe Clare and Big Lez are long gone and if you think those dummies they had since then are hip hop host, then I pity you. BET(or as i call it MTV Lite) is about as hiphop as a piece of iceberg lettuce. The only reason I have it is to keep channel 320 and 322 from crashing into each other in a fiery explosion and destroying my TV.

Let them have their opinion. They can, and do, explain why they ranked the way they did. It all makes sense to me. They even have an honorable mention section with more shot outs to the greats. It's just a good conversation builder to make a greatest MC list. What really needs to happen is sometime soon we have to let go of this Tupac and Biggie infatuation in hiphop. They were great but Tupac was not the greatest lyricist in the world. Biggie was great but he only had 2 albums (those Diddy albums were trash and don't count). Jay Z has a catalouge of albums that Biggie and Pac unfortunately never got a chance to make. Jay has verse after verse, style after style, years of proven success. Does that make him better? Not necessarily. It definitely gives him more of a chance to prove his worth. Think about this, if you are rookie of the year in the NFL and break your legs your second year, do you get to go to Canton because you were good? I don't think so.

Memories get distorted. It's a big up to Jay Z, not disrespect to the memory of our fallen brothers, for him to be on top of the list. My next blog I'm going to make a case for Jay Z as #1. I think I would put him on the top of my list if I made one. I got to relisten to my cd's right quick because you got to be on point. You know how those hiphop fans get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home