Thursday, May 11, 2006

Oh Boy (cott)

I'm all for activism. Its not my thing but if you're going to commit yourself to walk in a 4 foot circle for 6 hours holding a homemade sign, then you go right ahead. I'll be thinking about you while I'm at work sending nasty emails to whoever you tell me has done you wrong (hey I got bills shawty). Not to say I can't be inspired to drag my ass out there and join people in the struggle. If this were the 50's or 60's I'd be out there with the dogs and the hoses. I might have to stop and get my raincoat like Grampa Freeman but I would definitely be there. We'd probably have to go shopping for some better sneakers, I don't think these loafers were designed with the wear and tear of protesting in mind. Somebody might have to call and remind me too, 'cause I'll start drawing and lose all track of time. But I digress.

The problem is I like to fully comprehend the situation before I get all righteous. This blind following business is not for me. I want to look at things with a level head and understand the issue at hand. I keep an open mind about the facts. I make the best decision possible given the information I have. After that if it's wrong, you got me. If it all make sense I'm all for it. That's not complicated at all.

The first proposal July 4th gas strike. Some random ass guy that used to be some head honcho at one of the oil companies put it out there that a gas boycott would get the oil people to lower prices (you can just about tell where I'm going with this already). Somebody else picked it up and took it a little further. "If we boycott for a whole weekend they would really feel the burn." Somebody else got the hand off and takes it home. "If we boycott on Independence Day weekend that'll really show those slick suited bastards."

There has been no dumber idea raised in the last couple of years than the idea of boycotting gas. We built our entire economy on gas. We can't live our lives without gas. This happened way back when big oil companies were little baby oil companies dreaming of fleasing the whole world of their hard earned dollars. Generations of conniving executives provided their reserves and everybody took advantage. The Model T clenched the title for the boys. Killed the transport train, moved horses to the stables, polluted the world. Oil reign supreme. They have so much money they threaten to challenge any new fuel technology that comes along. Its all kinds of "alternatives" to gas. Nobody, I repeat NOBODY, wants to invest in the wrong new age fuel system. That's millions, billions, of dollars gone. Poof. Oil still reigns supreme.

The solution to our gas problem isn't playing tic tac toe with them fools. Begging for them not to take all our money and make record profits, "Just take all the money you usually take. Please Mr Oil Man don't shove the gas nozzle any further up our asses. " Its absurd. Bottom line, if we didn't get gas on the Saturday and Sunday we'd just be filling up on Friday. We won't win that battle.

I'll pass on the gas boycott, thank you. Call me when its time to support sugar cars like they have in Brazil. They distill sugar juice for gas. You can't beat that.

Second proposal boycott the Da Vinci Code movie. This movie is allegedly against all things religious. It exists solely to smear the reputation of the Vatican and flies in the face of 2000 years of history. The bible is the most sacred of text and it is deplorable that a fictional book would dare question the absolute truth of it. They should not allow this movie to show. If they show it they should put a disclaimer in front of the movie saying its not real....alright I can't even finish this one.

I've read the Da Vinci Code. Its based on some very controversial ideas. BASED ON. It's a book. A WORK OF FICTION. The ideas that inspire the story have existed for years. It's nothing new. It's not even anti-christian really. It's a damn good book. Putting a disclaimer in front of a movie? C'mon. Does Mission Impossible have a disclaimer in front of it? Everybody knows its a movie. This movie is not going to cause this huge crisis of faith they want to cry about.

I think I'll pass on the Da Vinci Code movie boycott and if you're not here to buy a ticket you need to get in that other line. I've got to get my overpriced M&M's before the previews.

5 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger nikki said...

"Just take all the money you usually take. Please Mr Oil Man don't shove the gas nozzle any further up our asses. "

HAHAHAHAHA!

aiight, now that i got my laugh on, this post is on point. first off, i didn't know about the gas boycott, but i probably would have been one of the folk doing it until i read your commentary. yeah, i'm that "fly off the handle and boycott anything that's unjust" kinda sista. thanks for making me take a step back to check the logic.

i haven't even read the davinci code book so i have no comment on the book itself but what you say makes sense (good lawd, i sound like i'm all on your d*ck). you should really try harder not to make sense, then i can disagree and feel as though i don't have to extricate myself from your nutsack.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Ms.Honey said...

When I got the emails to boycott the gas stations I was like umm I don't know about you but I need to drive my car. I ain't car pooling and letting you ride with me just cause you want to take a stand. I'll pass as well.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Waddie G. said...

most of the boycotts that occur are pointless, especially the very small ones that pop up out of nowhere...actions, not boycotts, revolutionize things...if you don't like something that is going on, do something about it, not protest...it's just a waste of oxygen...so I'm protesting people who are protesting.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Rebel1 said...

Boy cotting the protesters? You might be on to something.

Extricating someone from my nutsack sounds a little too difficult for me. I'd just as soon keep them there than go through that whole process. I don't mind really. LOL

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Cheetarah1980 said...

I don't pay for gas (drive a company car), and even I know gas prices are ridiculous. Since a boycott is unrealistic, I am forced to keep putting 40 dollar a tank gas bills on the company tab twice a week. Woe is me.

As for the Da Vinci Code. Amen, amen, and amen! You got it man. No disclaimer needed. The ideas have been around for a minute. And it's a fiction book. A damn good one at that. Get over it. And yes, I am a Christian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home